Just so you’re in the loop as far as water restrictions go.
• Watering (with drinking water from municipal supply) of gardens, flower beds, sports fields, parks, lawns and other open spaces allowed only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for a maximum of one hour per premises either before 09:00 or after 16:00. (This includes watering with buckets or automated sprinkler systems.)
• No watering will be permitted within 24 hours of rainfall that provides adequate saturation. (Facilities/customers making use of boreholes or other sources are not exempt from this.)
• When watering gardens, parks, open spaces, etc. with alternative water resources (e.g. boreholes, wellpoints, greywater, treated effluent, spring water or rain water harvesting) you are encouraged to do so only before 09:00 or after 16:00 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
• If alternative water sources are utilised, all customers must ensure that they display the appropriate signage to this effect clearly visible from a public thoroughfare.
• Special users (e.g. golf courses and schools) can apply to the Director: Water & Sanitation for exemption to any of the above.
• No automatic top-up systems are allowed for swimming pools. It is recommended that all swimming pools be covered by a pool cover to avoid evaporation when not in use.
• Ornamental water fountains/water features to be operated only by recycling the water.
• Washing of vehicles (including recreational vehicles and watercraft) allowed only with hosepipes fitted with automatic self-closing devices, or with waterless products.
• No washing or hosing down of hard-surfaced or paved areas with drinking water from a tap is allowed.
• All taps, showerheads and other plumbing components encouraged to be replaced with water efficient parts/technologies.
Water pressure may be reduced to 2.5 bars to limit water leaks and that slight changes in water taste and clarity may occur due to low dam levels.
For more information, see: www.capetown.gov.za/water → Water restrictions.
Please report all misuse of water during water restrictions to: firstname.lastname@example.org